Hawthorne's PAC will be hosting a Read-A-Thon Fundraiser next week. Money raised will support school field trips, the garden program, technology, cultural presentations among many other exceptional things our students experience each year. Read-A-Thon’s are a lot of fun and we encourage participation throughout all grade levels. We invite all families to participate in this wonderful event that will promote literacy and a love of reading. By holding a pledge based event, we hope that families will reach out to friends, neighbours, grandparents and co-workers.
The details:1. Participation: All students at Hawthorne are eligible to participate in the Read-A-Thon fundraiser.
2. Prizes: All students who participate in the read-a-thon pledge collection, and return their pledge sheet form and pledge money by March 10th, 2014, will have their names entered into a draw for a chance to win one of five prizes.
3. Students will read each day at home: -
- Grade K-2: 15 minutes of reading,
- Grade 3-7: 30 minutes of reading
- Adults: 45 minutes of reading
4. Pledges: Students are encouraged to get as many pledges as they can. You can raise money for Hawthorne by having your sponsors pledge a flat amount for the fundraiser. Collect pledges any time between February 26 and March 10.
5. Safety: Collect pledges from people you know rather than strangers.
6. Cheques: Cheques should be made out to “Hawthorne PAC”
7. Turning in Pledges: Please return your completed pledge form and all collected pledge money to your child's teacher no later than Monday, March 10th, 2014 to be eligible for prizes.
Parents/Guardians are also encouraged to join the Read-A-Thon. Anyone who would like to collect pledges for their own reading is invited to read for Hawthorne along with our students. Parent/guardian Pledge forms can be downloaded at www.hawthornepac.wordpress.com.
READ-A-THON THEME DAYS:
We will be hosting a variety of theme days in association with our Read-A-Thon from Monday, March 3- Friday, March 7th.
Monday: Dress-As-Your-Favorite-Book-Character Day
Tuesday: Read-A-Shirt Day, wear a shirt that has writing on it, or pin on a saying
Wednesday: Donate-A-Book(s) Day
Thursday: Wear-Pink-Or-Red Day (to show your love for books)
Friday: PJ Day, bring you favorite bedtime story
Parents are reminded that the "pull out" area in our roundabout is restricted to Daycare vans and buses. We hope to have new signage up soon and ask that all drivers act accordingly. This area serves to ease congestion by allowing our Daycare providers to safely drop off/pick up large groups of students without stopping the flow of traffic. Thank you in advance for your attention to this.
Hawthorne hosted a voluntary Science Fair in our library on Wednesday, February 26th. Thank you to the following students who worked hard to provide their guest with a great learning experience: Stuart McLaren, Nick Lawless, Maddie Hunter, Grace Lee, Becca Delmar, Nicole Zipursky, Luke Stamatiou, Kieran Lonquist, Ryan Retallick, Sebastian Saddul, Dawson Chung. Special thanks to Mrs. Reid for coordinating our efforts!
Parents and participants are reminded of our Talent Show scheduled Friday, March 14th at approximately 2pm. We will confirm the start time once we have finalized our list of performers. We will be hosting two rehearsal (Monday, March 3 and Tuesday, March 11) in preparation for what should be fun event. If your child is participating, please ensure that he/she is prepared with their proper equipment or music for each of the rehearsal times. We hope that your schedule allows you to attend.
Friday, February 28th
2014-2015 Kindergarten Registration
Friday, March 7
Wednesday, March 12
Report Cards Issued
Friday, March 14
2pm (to be confirmed)
Friday, March 14
Spring Break Begins
Monday, March 31